- Questo evento è passato.
Fundamentals of playing the early Irish harp – 2
Maggio 6 @ 1:00 pm - Giugno 17 @ 2:30 pm
This course will teach you the the foundational skills and knowledge you need to explore the music and traditions of the early Irish harp at a post-beginner level. In this second of a series of three progressive courses, you will build on the historical playing techniques and repertory introduced in course 1, which are fundamental to mastering the instrument. This course will suit you if you play early Irish harp at a post-beginner level, or have had a pause in your playing, and want to return to the instrument to refresh your skills. This is course 2 in a sequence of three: course 3 (autumn 2023), will build on skills and knowledge introduced in the previous courses.
N.B. You can sign up for this course without taking course 1. Students who already play early Irish harp, and want to focus on skills and repertory at a post-beginner level, are encouraged to enrol. If you are unsure, feel free to get in touch. We warmly welcome players of all kinds of harps.
In this course, students will
- have demonstrated, and learn, appropriate posture, hand position, and playing techniques for the early Irish harp
- be taught a lively jig, a heart-rending lament and a sparkling Carolan air
- learn to incorporate an important characteristic of Carolan’s compositional idiom, missing from modern sources of his music, that makes his music much easier to play
- develop critical thinking skills around historical (both printed and hand-written manuscript) vs. more modern sources of Irish harp music, and how to access the best source material including free online resources
- learn how to ‘reverse engineer’ from later editions of Irish harp music to get closer to the original music
- learn plausible historical accompaniment for Irish harp melodies, based on the latest cutting-edge research into performance practice in the old, pre-1800 tradition
You can find all the information about the programme and price here.